RE: Dialog from emacsclientw.exe must be dismissed (was RE: Best practic

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Dialog from emacsclientw.exe must be dismissed (was RE: Best practices for launching Emacs on Windows 7/8)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 21:27:19 +0000

> From: Juanma Barranquero, Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:50 PM
>
> I tend to think that the alternate editor is an error, but that's just me.

How do you configure Emacs on Windows?  Do you use emacsclientw to do
anything like what I'm trying to do (make double-clicking on an
associated file "just work" no matter whether Emacs is already
running)?

Especially on W7/8, it's become impossible to configure non-trivial
associations in the GUI, because there is no ability to specify the
command name or any options.  I know how to do more via regedit or
other utilities, but I find it's usually better to take the lazy
approach and do things the way "regular" users usually will.  I can
associate emacsclientw.exe and I can set ALTERNATE_EDITOR in the
environment.

Cheers,
Mark