Re: font-lock-keywords: matcher function not working

From: rfflrccrd
Subject: Re: font-lock-keywords: matcher function not working
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 03:43:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:32:57 PM UTC+2, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Your rr-match-indented-paren should *search* rather than only check the
>
> current position.

Thank you for your attention, Stefan.

However, doesn't my matcher function search already?  It checks the
current position first to return NIL for a failed match.  OTOH, when
the check succeeds, the matcher function calls `re-search-forward' to
set `match-data' appropriately.  IMO, this is the expected behaviour
according to the documentation of `font-lock-keywords':

"MATCHER [...] should return non-nil, move point, and set `match-data'
appropriately if it succeeds; like `re-search-forward' would."

Otherwise - that is: when the match fails - MATCHER should do nothing
and return NIL, shouldn't it?

> While I'm here, I recommend you (setq font-lock-support-mode nil) then
>
> disable&enable font-lock so that jit-lock won't be used: this makes it
>
> much easier to debug the code, especially when it signals errors (or
>
> course, you also want to set debug-on-error to t).

Thank you for these tips.