compile buffer: hide/collapse displayed file paths?

From: Grant Edwards
Subject: compile buffer: hide/collapse displayed file paths?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:05:16 +0000 (UTC)

When I run a "make" In compile mode, the error message output of gcc
contains full paths of source files containing errors.  Unfortunately,
these paths are often very long, so that neither the file name nor the
error/warning message is not visible in the compile buffer window.
This then requires a lot of extra keystrokes to switch windows, move
to the line in question, jump to the end of that line, then switch
back to the source file, rinse, repeat.

Is there any way to collapse/hide the file paths being shown in the
compiler buffer window so that I can see the compiler error/warning
messages without all the keyboard gymanstics?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! We are now enjoying
                                  at               total mutual interaction in