Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:46:41 +0200

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> The problem is that Emacs invites tinkering with my Elisp
> settings.  And Elisp is such an imperative language
> And that means that Elisp-hacking means frequent restarts of
> Emacs.

Say what?! I do Elisp all the time and I *never* restart Emacs.

Why do you have to restart it?

You know about `eval-defun', `eval-last-sexp`, `load-file`, etc.?

For hooks and the like you can simply set them to certain things
instead of adding (which implies there are stuff there to begin
with). You can comment out those sections and still eval them when
needed, so they won't be evaled on init. (This is the only case I
can think of when writing Elisp would benefit from restarting
Emacs. I don't know if I'm missing something here.)

And, although Lisp (and Elisp) are a bit "everything goes", not
really adhering to any paradigm (at least not consistently so),
which I think is a *good* thing, I still would say Elisp is (if
anything) functional - imperative/procedural, that's like Basic or
C (although C obviously is much better, for example the shunned
goto - what about continue and break in C? Isn't that sort of a
goto?).

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573