Re: How start on a DIFFERENT buffer when start Emacs with MANY buffers a

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: How start on a DIFFERENT buffer when start Emacs with MANY buffers at the same time?
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 12:27:36 -0400

In article <87txjzvolz.fsf@VLAN-3434.student.uu.se>,
 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> > Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Suppose you start Emacs with lots of files such as "emacs *.txt
> > *.c".
>
> and
>
> > I've noticed that Emacs will display the LAST email in sorted
> > order.  How make it display the FIRST one in sorted order?
>
> Email? How do you mean, how is that related to the number of files
> you open Emacs with?

I think he meant "LAST file".

When you give Emacs multiple filenames on the command line, it acts as
if you'd opened them with find-file in the order given. So when it's
done, you end up in the last file.

The shell expands the wildcards. AFAIK, there's no way to customize the
order it expands them. You could do something like:

emacs $(ls *.txt *.c | tac)

If your OS doesn't have "tac", try "rev".

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA