Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:29:30 +0300

> From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:00:33 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Yes, it is.  I'm guessing that the above is due to the fact that
> > you missed many external programs that Emacs invokes to provide
> > some of its features.  Those programs exist in Windows ports ...
>
> I'm sure they do, but when I run a command, I don't think in which
> module that is, to me it is all Emacs.

If you want "M-x grep" and "M-x compile" and "M-x flyspell-mode" and
LaTeX and whatnot, you need to set that up.  No Bob will do that for
you.  You want a working development environment, you need to install
its parts -- Grep, GCC, ispell/hunspell, you name it.  Expecting that
to somehow miraculously materialize out of thin air is not very wise.
Assigning the blame to Emacs is misdirected.

> Perhaps my statement should be specified into: Emacs AND Linux is
> not the same as Emacs AND Windows.

That goes both ways.

> It doesn't matter if Emacs is
> the same, if it doesn't play the same in a new environment -
> perhaps Emacs should *not* be the same to make it work the same?

It _is_ the same.  Whether or not this is right is another issue and
another argument.

> My .emacs broke on a dozen plus places - and the only thing I ever
> installed separately on Debian is some LaTeX stuff (that I
> remember).

See above.  My .emacs works on Windows and GNU/Linux alike, has done
that for the last 10 years if not more.

> Just to give you an example: big files. I *never* had a
> problem editing, scrolling (browsing), etc., big files in
> Linux. In Windows, it started to lag like crazy.

That's outdated.  Even on 32-bit Windows, Emacs can edit 1.7 GB files,
if you have enough VM.  And, just to give you a counter-example, Emacs
on 64-bit GNU/Linux would crash and burn with files larger than 2GB
until a few versions back.

> The whole thing was so frustrating I decided never to do it again,
> after putting a considerable effort to make it work (on the same
> computer). I believe that you got it to work, but I don't believe
> I could do the same.

Life is strange, you might yet find yourself some day in the need to
do it again.  Maybe you should save this message for then.