Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:58:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Mine looks very similar.  And your point is?

The black background - *much* less light enters your eyes. But it
is not like the light from (for example) the sun, because the
light from the monitor (projector in my case) holds information
that must be decoded, and, at a fixed distance, while maintaining
a high degree of concentration, it makes your eyes not blink -
which makes for *dry* eyes. The black background really, really
helps.

Different faces - seeing, rather than reading, to comprehend -
navigating in a file - like, to qualitatively different things,
next to each other, should never have the same face - makes it
much easier to debug, to.

Blinking cursor - popups - nothing should happen unless you do
something, because the eye/brain decoder is unprepared (sort of, I
know this after years of trial-and-error, I don't pretend to know
exactly how it works). In general, being relaxed helps a lot,
which is the same for martial arts, boxing, etc. - easier said
than done, though.

Reaching for the mouse, but even reaching on the keyboard - say,
for the F1 etc. keys or the numpad - is a potential *killer*, and
I've spent weeks on eradicating that entire situation - because
whenever you reach, and fail to get back, you must look down to
correct - and when you look *up*, the visual "reorient" can be
painful beyond belief.

As for typing - lots of great guys had to retire from the game
because their fingers for various reasons couldn't take it. The
"word on the street" is that poor blood circulation leads to cold
fingers, that get stiff, ..., I guess *that* is no more
complicated than why you do warm-up before you do something
physical.

But there is also the eye aspect of typing - if typing is fast,
and shortcuts are close, then obviously less *time* is spent using
your eyes to solve your task.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573