how to handle svg files when exporting orgmode to html and pdf?

From: Malcolm Cook
Subject: how to handle svg files when exporting orgmode to html and pdf?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:25:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am creating .svg files with R source blocks and ESS in org.

I am happily viewing them in-line in my emacs buffer.

I am happily exporting as html and viewing them in-line in the resulting web
page, including a table of images.

I do not have an approach for including them into PDF when I export->tex->pdf.

I'm thinking there might be an approach to converting them on-the-fly to png
(or something) during the export->tex->pdf.

A similar problem was addressed with custom macros here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/56532/focus=58322

But it does not work with  R source blocks that produce .svg files.

Any suggestions for me?  Is this a lost cause?  Am I asking for too many
assumptions to be made by such an auto-conversion process that it is doomed to
fail anyway?

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

Malcolm