Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:18:32 +0200

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Leaving aside the fact that in real life mice are more
> intelligent than keyboards

:)

> I believe the real division here is between functional and OO
> interface rather than keyboard vs mouse.

Rather than "rather than", _as much as_, because those two
physical devices are what make those interfaces possible.

> A Unix command-line or an interactive language prompt are
> examples of functional interfaces.  Conversely in windows when
> one points at something and the system magically opens with word
> or excel or whatever, that is an OO interface. ...

Very good point, and I'm fascinated it took so long to float to
the surface. And yes, I think the CLI is much better in almost
every aspect than the Windows/Mac OS way, including GNOME, KDE,
etc. At least for general usage, there is no doubt in my mind.

I've never heard "functional/OO" with respect to
*interfaces*. Those are programming paradigms, for the most
part. I would say CLI/GUI to denote the same thing.

Regardless of what you call it, I'm very happy you brought this
up. I wouldn't have thought of it, perhaps because it is so
implicit (close) to the whole keyboard/mouse discussion. It is
like looking for a rope, and you can't find it, because you have
it in your belt.

> IOW OO interfaces are intrinsically more dumbed-down than
> functional ones.

Yes, except for very specific cases.

> Sometimes we need the intelligent interface ...

Sometimes as in "almost all the time" :)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573