Re: How do you create a .emacs for a pre-compiled version of Emacs 24.3?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How do you create a .emacs for a pre-compiled version of Emacs 24.3?
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 18:16:02 +0300

> From: Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:59:51 +0200
>
> When I replied to Eli that always "had to" set HOME it is because I
> change it to C:\Users\USERNAME (a personal preference).

That's against Windows guidelines: that directory should not generally
store user files.  See this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762494%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

which says:

    CSIDL_PROFILE
    FOLDERID_Profile

           Version 5.0. The user's profile folder. A typical path is
           C:\Users\username. Applications should not create files or
           folders at this level; they should put their data under the
           locations referred to by CSIDL_APPDATA or
           CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA. However, if you are creating a new Known
           Folder the profile root referred to by CSIDL_PROFILE is
           appropriate.

You can, of course, do what you want on your systems, but Emacs tries
to be a good citizen.