wall of text pumping out while in shell

From: Le Wang
Subject: wall of text pumping out while in shell
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:53:00 +0800

Hi all,

I'm trying to use my shell within Emacs more regularly.  One problem
that crops up often is a long running command unexpectedly is
outputing a tremendous amount of text (often having very long lines).
Now Emacs' display engine is the bottleneck to the program finishing.
I don't want to prematurely kill the program.

How do you guys solve this?  Is there a way to say I temporarily don't
care about getting live updates from this shell, and resume later?

--
Le