Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the win

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the window view, horizontally
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 03:49:42 +0200

> Sometimes, the text I want to read in Emacs-w3m has a width (in
> chars) that would suggest that I could have it all visible at
> once. But, the horizontal scrolling is so heavy-handed, that it
> still isn't possible! So I setup scrolling char by char, left and
> right (code last). I seems to work, but there is still the
> annoying bar of dollar signs ($). (Check out the screenshot, yet
> after the code.) How can I disable the $-bar?

This "$-bar" is actually the left fringe, displaying the glyph standing
for line truncation.  This glyph is defined by the currently used
display-table.

So you have two options: either hide the fringe.  Fringes are belonging
to windows (not to buffers), so hiding them generally is maybe not what
you want.

To change the glyph, either set `buffer-display-table' for w3m buffers
if you want to modify the glyph only for w3m buffers.  To change this
globally, you want something like

  (set-display-table-slot standard-display-table 0 ?\ )

which would set the glyph to the space character.  But note that the
glyph indicating line truncation in the right fringe is the same one.

See

 (info "(elisp) Character Display")

and

 (info "(elisp) Active Display Table")