Re: Sorting with threads in Gnus

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Sorting with threads in Gnus
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:15:59 +0200

Hi Eric,

> Maybe look at `gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function? Here's what I use:
>
> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
>                                  gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)
>       gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date)

Oh, I didn't know that variable.  But it still doesn't really help me.
What works is

(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
        gnus-thread-sort-by-date)
      gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date)

which sorts threads and subthreads/articles of threads from old to new.

Hovever, I'd prefer to sort thread roots first by total score, then by
most recent article in the thread, so that at the top of the summary,
there's the thread with the highest total score, and if two threads have
the same total score, the one with the most recent article is on top.

However, as soon as I add `gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score' and
`gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date' to `gnus-thread-sort-functions',
the sorting inside threads goes wonky as well...

Bye,
Tassilo