Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the win

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the window view, horizontally
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 00:58:37 +0200

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

>> Yes, it is. I'm not afraid of my computer.
>
> -1: rude comment, cavalier attitude.

+1: Cavalier, that's a compliment.

> Eli's suggestion that "messing with such advanced stuff is not
> recommended" should not be interpreted, I think, as "Don't Do It
> Because You're Not Prepared Or Smart Enough".

He also said "... if you don't even know ..." which you don't
quote. And you also spell out a possible (rude) interpretation,
even though you say that wasn't the point. That means that
interpretation is possible and close at hand.

And - hiding the fringes. Is that really considered "advanced"? If
it can be achieved with one line of Elisp, I don't think it is
especially advanced or in any way dangerous to configure.

> It's more like, well, if you like to experiment so much without
> reading the manuals

I have read the Emacs manual - twice. And the white book on Emacs
that O'Reilly.

If the fringes were mentioned in those books, I have no problem
with that because my memory is not perfect.

> then please don't waste people's time asking questions

I'm not wasting anyone's time because I'm only in charge of my own
time.

> surely you'll be able to figure it all eventually without
> outside help.

No, that is not what happened at all. I asked the question and got
help, as you saw. Eli's answer was helpful as well, until it
turned rude.

> Asking questions and then rating helpful answers for rudeness
> is... interesting.

Eli's answer were helpful *and* rude. There was a helpful part,
*and* a rude part. But there is no balance in that. You can't help
me, and then be rude, and think everything's OK. It doesn't matter
how much you help me: I don't accept rudeness.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573