Re: Learn Emacs Lisp in 15 minutes

From: Kevin Montuori
Subject: Re: Learn Emacs Lisp in 15 minutes
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:19:47 -0400

>>>>> "B" == Bastien  <bzg@altern.org> writes:

    B> Comments and feedback welcome, enjoy,

Nicely done, I'm sure more than a few people will find it helpful.

A few comments:

  - A link to "An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp" might prove
    handy for continuing on: http://tinyurl.com/lanbfyv

  - The paragraph beginning with "This set of command is loaded on
    top..." is confusing.  I'd be tempted to make it way simpler:

      Emacs has a built-in set of functions (or commands); you use these
      built-in functions as building blocks for custom functions.

  - I'd point out that every sexp returns a value and some sexps produce
    side effects -- and explain the difference between a value and side
    effect.

Stupid as it sounds, I'd mention to your friend that you can't break a
computer by mis-programming it (and that most programmers spend their
time fixing code that's broken to some degree, not writing perfect code
out of the gate).  This is less obvious to non-programmers than I would
have suspected.

k.

--
  Kevin Montuori