Re: Sorting with threads in Gnus

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Sorting with threads in Gnus
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:37:10 +0800

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
>> Maybe look at `gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function? Here's what I use:
>>
>> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
>>                                 gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)
>>       gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date)
>
> Oh, I didn't know that variable.  But it still doesn't really help me.
> What works is
>
> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
>       '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
>         gnus-thread-sort-by-date)
>       gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date)
>
> which sorts threads and subthreads/articles of threads from old to new.
>
> Hovever, I'd prefer to sort thread roots first by total score, then by
> most recent article in the thread, so that at the top of the summary,
> there's the thread with the highest total score, and if two threads have
> the same total score, the one with the most recent article is on top.
>
> However, as soon as I add `gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score' and
> `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date' to `gnus-thread-sort-functions',
> the sorting inside threads goes wonky as well...

I doubt I'll be able to help -- I don't use scoring, and most of my gnus
configurations seem to involve some degree of magical thinking.

Just for clarity, your desired setup, that goes "wonky", would look like
this:

(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '(gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score
        gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)
      gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function
      'gnus-thread-sort-by-date)

Is that right? So it's the 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date effect inside the
threads themselves that's going wrong? Wonky how?