Re: Detecting a running process in Elisp

From: gentsquash
Subject: Re: Detecting a running process in Elisp
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:18:42 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, all, for your replies.  I realize that I didn't give
enough information.  I'm running

   GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)

under Mac OS.  It appears there is no `list-system-processes' in Emacs22.

 [Aside: I've been quite happy with Carbon Emacs, but my understanding
  is that it is no longer updated.  Is there a recommended version of
  Emacs23 (or 24?) for Mac users who are used to Carbon Emacs?]

I had run `apropos' on "shell" and "command", but inexplicably didn't
run it on "process".  When I did that now, I didn't see -in Emacs22-
a cmd for listing the system processes.

    /--------------------------------------------------------\
    Eli Zaretskii
    > From: Drew Adams <drew....@oracle.com>
    > ... That led me to `process-list', which I imagine you
    > can use to get what you want.

    These are for processes that Emacs launched.  Other processes
    running on the system will not show.

In a shell, inside Emacs, I can run

        open /Applications/ChessJK/ScidvsMac.app

However, I don't think this counts as launching-from-Emacs, and
the ScidvsMac process does not show up in (process-list).

Running `apropos' on "mac", and on "process", I did find
`mac-process-activate', but this doesn't seem to be what I need.

So... If I wanted to "launch" ScidvsMac (a chess database program)
from Emacs, under Mac OS, how would I do it?

   Thanks again, everyone.   -Jonathan