Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:32:37 -0400

> I hope there may be a longtime emacs on Solaris user in the house who
> can tell me the sanest way to make emacs behave on that OS.
>
> I'm running a recent install of openindiana (one of the offshoot
> solaris OS's) and its been a good long while since I've run Solaris.
>
> The biggest problem is that the M (alt) key is not recognized on
> solaris and so one must use the Esc key which is really awkward.  And
> it seems I vaguely recall some other problems too, but right now that
> Esc key thing is such an absolute pain I haven't got that far.
>
> I realize I can do some key re-assignments but I seem to remember
> there being some drawbacks to that too.  So anyway, someone who has
> run emacs on Solaris will maybe know a comprehensive solution I can
> try.

Haven't had my hands on Solaris for a while, so from memory:

Are you running under X or in a terminal?

I'm going to assume you are running under X.

Under X you want the left alt key to emit Alt_L.
Use xev to see what the key emits.

Alt_L should show up as mod1 when you display modifiers.
Use the command:

xmodmap -pm

--
Dan Espen