Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:01:21 +0200

aurelien@replicant.io (Aurélien DESBRIÈRES) writes:

> GNU Emacs is an Extensible Editor.
>
> Extensible (word) have it's importance in the way that the limit
> with GNU Emacs is you.

Yes. In that sense, Emacs resembles the Unix/Linux shells, where
you can customize, and extend, in the .rc and .profile files. I
think this should be the rule, rather than the exception, to just
about any piece of software. But it is not - so it is good to have
Emacs and zsh!

> GNU Emacs is not difficult to learn and by the way it will teach you
> Computer Sciences.

The practical side to it, at least. The most important side.

> Try GNU Emacs out of X you will discover and OS in the OS

Yes, and that was the Kon-Tiki point I made a couple of messages
back. But on a Unix/Linux system, it doesn't really matter from
where you run Emacs. X is a windows system, from where you can run
Emacs either in its GUI incarnation (using a WM on top of X), or
in an X terminal (like xterm or urxvt, with 'emacs -nw'), *or* you
could have Emacs in a Linux VT (the tty's). That Emacs is an OS
within the OS is a great point!

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573