Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:08:45 +0200

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Some years back Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote in response to a noob
> asking why he should learn emacs

Unfortunately, no one can be "told" what Emacs is. You have to use
it yourself.

> real programmers use their brain.
> real programmers program their brain.
> often, real programmers' brain-programming program is emacs.

Not only real programmers program their brain. This is the same
thing Muhammad Ali did, bragging at press conference, or people
spending time in jail, always making their beds perfectly, and
counting the number of push-ups they do every day. It is just
something that everybody that has problems, or challenges, in
their lives, can benefit from. A lot.

And: perhaps all this "noob" talk discourages people from making
their first post? (Not saying, that all quiet people are newcomers
to Emacs. But some are.) Perhaps that word shouldn't be used at
all.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573