Why does `(window-line-height)' return nil?

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Why does `(window-line-height)' return nil?
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 16:26:50 +0800

Hi,

In my *scratch* buffer, all of the following expressions return nil with
`eval-print-last-sexp' (also tried `eval-last-sexp'):

(window-line-height 'header-line)
(window-line-height 'mode-line)
(window-line-height)
(window-line-height 0)
(window-line-height -1)

Why do they return nil?  After reading the doc string, I only found one
sentence that may be relavant: "Return nil if window display is not
up-to-date."  So, does that mean window display is not up-to-date when
evaluating the expression?  I've searched the archives/web, but found
little information about this function.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/