Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *somet

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *sometimes* doesn't work with mouse!?!? Very confusing
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 16:00:21 +0200

Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> writes:

> (global-set-key (kbd "C-c") 'kill-ring-save)
>
> My goal is be able to highlight regions with the mouse and use
> C-c to copy that region for pasting later somewhere else...
>
> It seems to be very flaky.  It seems to *sometimes* work and
> sometimes not when I highlight a region with the mouse.

You already got the answer, `M-x cua-mode' to get those shortcuts.

But, those are inferior to the Emacs arsenal of killing and
yanking shortcuts: kill a region, a line, a word, a word
backwards, killing but not erasing, etc.

The best thing to do is *not* using cua - that way, you have no
choice but to use the faster, more precise, and more ergonomic
Emacs shortcuts. And those will come to you virtually instantly.

Also, it is best to drop mouse use entirely, for the same (and
other) reasons. If you want to highlight a region, you can use M-h
(repeatedly, if needed), or you can use C-SPC to set the mark, and
then move the cursor with, for example, C-n/p.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573