Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 14:51:57 -0400

> Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> X enabled Emacs seem to behave like any other tty/x enabled
>> application.
>
> What do you mean by "tty/x enabled"?

I meant programs capable of running in text mode (tty), or under X.
There are a few besides Emacs.

> That it behaves differently in a tty and in X?

Yes.

> In X, my display is ":0", in a tty, it isn't set.
>
> With (in a tty)
>
> emacs -d ":0" 2> errors.txt
>
> everything is as predicted - I get the GUI Emacs in X (in the
> background, when I switch to X, I see it). Nevertheless, that
> command outputs to stderr:

Yep, -d is an override or substitute for $DISPLAY.

> (emacs:3496): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
> Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
> GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running
>
> (emacs:3496): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
> Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
>
> You have any idea what that is?

Yes:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus/

DBUS is not X, it's a way for applications to talk to each other.
I don't run a "desktop" enabled window manager and see those messages
too.  I don't let it bother me.

> Interestingly, again in a tty,
>
> DISPLAY=":0" emacs
>
> did *not* produce those error messages, and the GUI Emacs appeared
> just the same in X.

Yep.

>> If $DISPLAY is set, you get the GUI.
>>
>> Type:
>>
>> DISPLAY=  emacs
>>
>> and you get text mode.
>
> Yes, but isn't it better to use -nw - or, did you say that to show
> the mechanics, rather than usage?

Yes, trying to explain the mechanics.

--
Dan Espen