Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 23:33:36 +0200

> Am 06.08.2013 um 14:52 schrieb Harry Putnam:
>
>> Is it normal for that change to only be good until next boot up?
>
> Yes. Either put the two commands into your xinit startup file or
> put the instructions into your xmodmap's startup file!

I've done lots of experimentation with the keyboard, and that's
something I load every time.

I paste (last) a file, that is read in

/etc/rc.local

with

loadkeys /etc/console-setup/remap.inc > /dev/null

Because it is read in rc.local, you don't need to provide the
super user password.

The file exemplifies:

- go to a specific tty

- go to X (i.e., tty7, at least on my Debian) - this is extra cool
  if you in X (be it in urxvt or whatever) - setup the same
  shortcut, to go to the console

- iterate the tty's back and forth (I disabled that, instead I
  have one key for Emacs, and one for tmux, and then I do the
  console stuff in tmux)

- insert string - really cool! - but I didn't find a good use case

- scrolling - I removed that since I set it up otherwise in
  tmux. (One of the most annoying limitations of the Linux VTs is
  that if you go from one to another, and then return, you can't
  scroll! For this, those keys won't help, but there is a scroll
  ("copy") mode in tmux.)

- the backtab Emacs hack - to associate some arbitrary Unicode
  char and bind that to some functionality - very impressive! -
  and described in detail in other threads

- the compose key (so I can access those goofy chars - goofy to
  you - but still write and code with the faster and more
  ergonomic US layout)

- the only problem: the keys you setup like this cannot be used in
  for example Emacs to do other things - they take
  precedence. That's why you need to be restrictive. And no, you
  can't setup one map for one tty, and one for another (e.g., the
  one you run Emacs in) - at least not with the loadkeys method.

- is there anything more you could do? Please tell me :)

#### /etc/console-setup/remap.inc

## "ctrll" makes it work even when capslocked
## get keycode with `showkey'
## on-the-fly update: `loadkeys -c -s <keys>' (.zshrc's `lkeys')

# J - Emacs
alt keycode 36       = Console_1 # or Decr_Console
ctrll alt keycode 36 = Console_1 #    Decr_Console
# K - tmux
alt keycode 37       = Console_2 # or Incr_Console
ctrll alt keycode 37 = Console_2 #    Incr_Console

# M-u - X
alt keycode 22        = Console_7
ctrll alt keycode 22  = Console_7

## strings

# M-e M-E
alt keycode 18 = F70
alt shift keycode 18 = F71
string F70 = "embe8573"
string F71 = "@student.uu.se"

### scrolling

## P (up)
# alt keycode 25       = Scroll_Backward
# ctrll alt keycode 25 = Scroll_Backward

## N (down)
# alt keycode 49       = Scroll_Forward
# ctrll alt keycode 49 = Scroll_Forward

### Emacs map to get backtab
shift keycode 15 = U+010E

### compose key
## current state: `dumpkeys --compose-only'
compose 'o' 'a' to U+00E5 # å
compose 'o' 'A' to U+00C5 # Å
compose '0' 'a' to U+00E5 # å
compose '0' 'A' to U+00C5 # Å
compose '"' 'a' to U+00E4 # ä
compose '"' 'A' to U+00C4 # Ä
compose '"' 'o' to U+00F6 # ö
compose '"' 'O' to U+00D6 # Ö
compose '/' 'e' to U+00E9 # é
compose '/' 'E' to U+00C9 # É
compose '/' 'a' to U+00E1 # á
compose '/' 'A' to U+00C1 # Á
compose '/' 'u' to U+00FA # ú
compose '/' 'U' to U+00DA # Ú
compose '/' 'i' to U+00ED # í
compose '/' 'I' to U+00CD # Í

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573