Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:52:41 +0200

Am 12.08.2013 um 19:05 schrieb Jorge:

>  What is Emacs really good for?

For doing the job.

> Is it a good personal information manager?

Well, I prefer to read Wikipedia outside of GNU Emacs and there I also store my
passwords. Do you have more personal information to manage?

> Can you manage your information (todo, grocery list, etc.) and sync with a
> smartphone?

What is a smartphone good for? I prefer to spend my superfluous money for
charity. And stay smart myself…

> If you can't sync with a smartphone, how do you manage the grocery list?

It's an empty list, it makes no problems. Who in the world needs dead meat?

>  Is it a good calendar?

I think: No! I prepare my holidays on bike with Pcal. It allows to use nicer
fonts – or I'm a bit to lazy to set up GNU Emacs for this. (But the Pcal file
is at least edited in GNU Emacs!)

> Can you easily collaborate with colleagues who use Google Calendar?

I prefer to keep my private dates really private. No Google. Absolutely!

>  Is it a good email reader?  Does it work with gmail?

I don't know. Maybe not, because I am using a different application.

>  Is Emacs adapting well to the changing computing landscape?

Of course! Every day you can receive a few updates.

--
Greetings

  Pete

deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania