Re: configurable means hard? [was: ... easier explanation how to setup g

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: configurable means hard? [was: ... easier explanation how to setup gnus ...]
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:19:02 +0700

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:01 AM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> Mouseover text can sometimes help describe what a menu item does.  For
> `New Frame', for instance, it could say "Open a new frame (window-manager
> window)" instead of just "Open a new frame".

Oh no! Now poor grandpa has to know about window managers. And now
Emacs explicitly calls two different things “windows”.

> But that probably won't help much for an item like `New Window Below'.
> I suppose it could add "(frame pane)" or "(pane)" after "window" in the
> help, but at some point this becomes too much.

For me, the point of too much is immediately when alternative
terminology is included in parentheses.

Why can’t we rename windows to panes and frames to windows?

> The terminology is a bit of a special case, however.  Once past the
> basic-terminology hurdle and the how-do-I-access-help hurdle, things go more
> smoothly.

Problem is, the user won’t read help. At least not for features they
expect to “just work”.