Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers

From: Jay Cotton
Subject: Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 18:33:44 -0400

On Aug 16, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:

> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
>> Jay Cotton <jay.cotton@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is it just you and me, or do lots of others also think this behavior
>>> makes better sense? (From a windowing perspective, that is. I can't
>>> speak to the technical pros and cons of electric-buffer-list vs. the
>>> traditional list-buffers, I just like that the former opens in the
>>> same window.)
>>>
>>> I list buffers *constantly* when I'm working in emacs. I've always got
>>> 3 or 4 windows open, and I'm somewhat OCD about keeping things where I
>>> want them, and the problem is that with such an arrangement, I can't
>>> always predict where list-buffers is going to pop up the buffer
>>> list. I haven't studied the problem carefully, and I assume it has
>>> something to do with the order in which I created the windows. But I
>>> don't always create the windows in the same order. Usually my
>>> arrangement just sort of evolves as I'm working, and in any event I
>>> can't always predict which window will be used to pop up the buffer.
>>>
>>> This difficult-to-predict window behavior has always seemed un-emacs-y
>>> to me. And I've always wondered if I'm somehow "doing it wrong" since
>>> it causes me such grief when my .emacs file isn't available.
>>
>> Configuring `display-buffer-alist is a good solution in the most cases.
>> For the other cases, you at least have winner.el to undo buffer popping
>> you didn't want (`winner-undo').
>>
>> BTW, AFAIK Stefan plans to implement prefix keys that control the buffer
>> displaying behavior of the following command.  There would be a default
>> behavior, and you can use those prefixes to deviate from the default.
>
> I still think any tweaking of list-buffers is a waste of time.
> Just replace it with the electric version.
>
> --
> Dan Espen

I hate to pick nits with the guy who seems closest to my POV on this issue, but
after using the electric version a little bit I did notice some weirdness.

For instance, it clobbers C-x and a bunch of other huge keybindings. I can't
select text for the kill ring. I can't isearch for the buffer I'm looking for.

I love the fact that it opens in the same window, but I can imagine the dev
group catching a lot of flak if they replaced the 'list-buffers default with
something so different as this.

However, it is very easy for me to memorize, and I will take advantage of it
when I'm on a foreign machine!

Thanks,
Jay