Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 01:24:19 +0200

Jay Cotton <jay.cotton@gmail.com> writes:

> Also, the window behavior prefix command sounds like a neat idea. It
> seems like it would have to be either:
>
> a) different for different commands, in order to maintain existing
> differences in prefix args (ie., C-u C-x 'some-command might already
> mean something)
>
> or
>
> b) obscure enough that it would risk being tedious to use

An example:

C-x C-b acts according to your default.

C-x 4 C-x C-b would pop up a new window and use it.

C-x 5 C-x C-b would create a new frame and use it.

C-x 4 and C-x 5 are already a prefixes (in the sense of key bindings), but
not realized as commands.

You would still be able to use prefix args, like

C-x 5 C-u 1 C-x C-b

> right? A difficult task indeed, I hope I can help somehow.

These are future plans.

I tried to implement something like this for myself, but discarded it.
The concept is easy, but the details are not.  For example, if you use
C-x 5 before a command that at first reads in a string with completion,
do you want your completion list to appear in a new frame when hitting
TAB?  Probably not.  Commands that display multiple new buffers are
problematic.

Michael.