Re: eieio persistent, plus autoloads

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: eieio persistent, plus autoloads
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 09:21:54 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen writes:
> Okay, I guess I get it. I was thinking of eieio-persistent as a slightly
> unusual case just because object constructors are being written to a
> file, and the potential for breakage seems a little more dramatic. But
> perhaps some nice error handling and reporting is all that's necessary.

`eieio-defclass-autoload' only creates a mock class; this is necessary
so that EIEIO already knows about it, but that class is not yet
functional. It then creates a plain `autoload' for the actual
constructor function. So far this has worked very well, at least for
CEDET, which autoloads a lot of classes.

> Just out of curiosity, how do you create an autoload file for your
> smaller packages?

With an emacs script like this:

#!emacs --script

(setq my-base-path (expand-file-name "~/emacs-packages/"))
(setq dirs '("smallstuff" "speck" "minimap" "magit"))
(let ((generated-autoload-file (concat my-base-path "loaddefs.el")))
  (cd my-base-path)
  (dolist (dir dirs)
    (update-directory-autoloads dir)))

-David