Re: closing man and help buffers

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: closing man and help buffers
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:11:42 +0200

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

>> ibuffer allows marking buffers by several critria, including major mode,
>> name regexp... It has shortcuts for directly marking help buffers and
>> "old" buffers. Then, you can delete marked buffers with D.
>
> Just tried ibuffer.
> looks like you can mark buffers with "d", "D" is not required.

`d' marks buffers for deletion, much like `dired'. It is an special
mark, not to be confused with the ordinary mark which just indicates
which buffers will be affected by a subsequent operation.

`D' is one such operation that deletes marked buffers.

> Doesn't look quite as good as electric
> and acts a bit weird.
>
> You select with return instead of space.
> I don't know what that line that says Default is but when I selected it,
> it appeared to select itself but with no content.
> It contains a blank line and total at the end and it lets you cursor
> into them.

[Default...] is a group heading. You can configure ibuffer for dividing
buffers into groups and operate on them at once.

> It appears to show itself in the buffer list.

No it doesn't.

> Not switching any time soon.

Good to know.

For those of you interested on ibuffer, see the compulsory EmacsWiki
entry:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IbufferMode