Re: Weirdness with Input Method/quail : how to figure out source of it?

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: Re: Weirdness with Input Method/quail : how to figure out source of it?
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:33:18 +0900

Hello,
** Alex Kost [2013-08-16 15:37:41 +0400]:

> Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> writes:

>> To get correct output for Russian I decided to define new keyboard layout
>> ('dvorak-classic') for
>> quail (this is not my discovery I found it on emacswiki.org).

>> But this solution rises another weird problem. Looking ahead I must say that
>> I notice this
>> problem about 4-6 months ago while I use this setup (dvorak layout) for more
>> than a year.

> I've tried your variant with (quail-set-keyboard-layout "dvorak"), and it
> works for me without a sign of your strange Problem.

>> Why I call it "weird" problem: because it comes not always, it is very
>> sporadic. It doesn't
>> depend if I run Emacs with my settings or without any (emacs -Q), in
>> terminal (tty) or in
>> graphical environment (X).

> Sorry for uninformative reply, but i don't know how to help you here.
> Perhaps, it would be better to do "M-x report-emacs-bug".

Seems now I able to reproduce that behaviour with simple script.

Would you mind to run this script (see attachment)? It's the only
requirement is xdotool tool, you don't even have to switch to dvorak
layout; moreover, qwerty layout is required to run script without
intervention.

What this script do:
1. run emacs without any settings but loading 'quail-dvorak.el' file
   (attached as well) and switching _on_ flyspell mode;
2. open a text file to type;
3. use a sample text file (xmpl.txt, attached) to type in opened buffer;
4. after first round of type, switch _off_ flyspell mode and type the
   same sample file again.

To run script just open a terminal emulator and run
   ./test-emacs-flyspell-mode.sh xmpl.txt
in directory with script and sample file.

If it would give wrong behaviour for you then I send a bug report.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
The best executive is one who has sense enough to pick good people to do
what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with