Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:51:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:37:35 AM UTC+5:30, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Ugrading 30+ year old software is tough stuff! :)
>
> Thank you for your understanding.
>
> Indeed, we do make backward incompatible changes all the time, and at
> the same time we refrain from doing so.  It's a delicate balance, and
> I think there's no way to get right even for a single individual, let
> along for everyone.  We just try to minimize the overall annoyance of
> inertia and change.

:-) I remember ducking the debris from the explosions around visual-line-mode
:-)

Seriously I feel biting the bullet may all-round the best solution (which
includes your health and sanity!)

Something like this:

- A comprehensive list of changes is drawn up without scrimping on
'incompatible' including terminology (window/frame vs pane/window etc)
- 24 is declared as stable and supported for the next 7 years, ie minor bugs
will be fixed, major functionality will not be added
- to the extent possible, converter functionality is provided to make old elisp
into new
- likewise for documentation

My own prejudices:

I am a programmer, but more a teacher of programming.
Personally it does not matter too much to me whether I press C-x or C-w to
'cut' but it matters a great deal to my students/their employers etc, so that
more and more I am finding emacs a hard-sell. Hopefully you will consider that
there are a thousand-fold guys like me 'at the fringes' who would give  great
deal to have emacs a little more mainstream/less weird