Re: Keystroke inconsistencies between GUI and -nw emacs?

From: Marko Vojinovic
Subject: Re: Keystroke inconsistencies between GUI and -nw emacs?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:38:36 +0100

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:47:24 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > (1) Was this done by design?
>
> Yes, F10 is supposed to show you the menu-bar "the GUI way".  In a tty
> this is not implemented (yet?), so it fallsback on tmm-menubar.

I see, thanks. I am actually looking these days into the code that
should implement that MSDOS-like menu look&feel into the tty, but it
should still keep the keystroke-compatibility with the tmm-menubar,
only the visual appearance of the menus should be different.

In the GUI the F10 opens the GUI menu, which is ok. The only thing I
was surprised about is that the GUI menu is not keystroke-equivalent to
the tmm-menubar.

> > (2) Can the GUI version be reconfigured to have the response to
> > keystrokes which is *identical* to the console version? If yes,
> > please point me to some docs about how to do it.
>
> If you use M-` instead of F10, it will work consistently.
> Of course, you can remap f10 to run tmm-menubar if you prefer using
> F10.

The remap to tmm-menubar sounds like the thing I've been looking for,
I'll try it out. Thanks!

Best, :-)
Marko