Re: Keystroke inconsistencies between GUI and -nw emacs?

From: Marko Vojinovic
Subject: Re: Keystroke inconsistencies between GUI and -nw emacs?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:51:43 +0100

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 21:01:10 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:38:36 +0100
> > From: Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com>
> > In the GUI the F10 opens the GUI menu, which is ok. The only thing I
> > was surprised about is that the GUI menu is not
> > keystroke-equivalent to the tmm-menubar.
>
> The GUI menu is in most cases implemented in the toolkit used by
> Emacs, not in Emacs itself.  So the shortcut keys that control the GUI
> menu are the keys defined by the toolkit.  Emacs cannot redefine them,
> at least not easily (and if it did, users might complain, since they
> are used to what the toolkit does).

Oh, I see --- so you are saying that if I run Emacs under, say KDE,
then the Qt toolkit would be responsible for the menus, and the
corresponding keybindings would be defined and controlled by Qt rather
than Emacs itself. Or something along those lines.

Ok, it does make sense. Thanks for the clarification! :-)

Best, :-)
Marko