Re: shell-CLI for Emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: shell-CLI for Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 00:42:50 +0200

Barry OReilly <gundaetiapo@gmail.com> writes:

> Clearer than (eval `(,(read cmd) ,@args) ) is (apply (read cmd)
> args)

Absolutely! I didn't know of apply.

I realized a major problem with the interface is that a lot of
commands act differently depending on if there is a region or
not. An example is replace-string. With the function in the OP,
the region is ignored! Very confusing, as intuitively, once set,
you expect it to delimit the search-and-replace.

I worked around that with an, eh, interface to replace-string.

But that's getting tedious if it has to be done for a lot of
functions...

(defun rs (from to)
  (interactive)
  (let*((scope (if mark-active
                   (list (region-beginning) (region-end))
                   (list (point-min) (point-max)) ))
        (start (car   scope))
        (end   (nth 1 scope)) )
  (save-excursion
    (replace-string from to t start end) )))

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573