Properly using :value-to-external and :value-to-internal?

From: Ryan
Subject: Properly using :value-to-external and :value-to-internal?
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 23:20:55 -0700

Hi all,

I could use some help writing a special widget for use in the "defcustom" declaration that I'm writing. I'm writing a variable that's a list of match conditions. Each match condition is a choice between a literal string that only matches exactly, a prefix string that matches anything that starts with the prefix, or a regexp. The problem is that all three of these things is internally just a string, so there's no way to tell which one the variable has been set to. Here's a minimal example demonstrating the problem:

|(defcustom myvar""  "String or regexp"
  :type'(choice(string:tag"String")
                 (regexp:tag"Regexp")))|

Regardless of whether the user chooses the String or Regexp options, the variable gets set to a string and there's no way to tell whether or not it's supposed to be a regexp. What I'd like to do is have the variable be set to one if either "(TYPE . VALUE)", where TYPE is one of 'string or 'regexp and VALUE is whatever the user entered. I figured that I could accomplish this by creating a few custom widgets with special ":value-to-external" and ":value-to-internal" properties that handle the conversion between bare strings and the cons cells that I want. However, no matter what I try, i seem to run into errors, probably because the ":match" and ":validate" properties are looking at the cons cells instead of the bare strings and rejecting them. So can someone give me an example of a "define-widget" call that looks and works just like a "string" widget but actually gives "(string . VALUE)" as its value?

Thanks,

-Ryan Thompson