Re: nonroot issue with encrypt/decrypt

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: nonroot issue with encrypt/decrypt
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 20:55:53 +0000

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am using gnus for emails & newsgroup in emacs, on all my computers
> (desktop & laptop).
>
> I encounter no special issue on the desktop, but the issue encountered
> on this laptop is the following.
> * Everything works perfectly when using emacs > gnus as root. However,
> it is strongly disadviced to run apps as root except when there is some
> necessity to do that.
> * Using emacs > gnus as nonroot results in
> `
> Connection to newsgroup
>
> 'Couldn't open connection to news.dotsrc.org: (file-error Opening input
> file Decryption failed)'.
> '
>
> It looks coherent because typing `emacs myfile.gpg' results in
> `File exists, but cannot be read'
>
> (This problem does not occur as root.)
>
> Using Tools > Encryption/Decryption > Decrypt file, I am asked 2 times
> for a file, and, after having selected two times myfile.gpg, I get
> `peculiar error: "Decryption failed"'
>
> This problem does not appear when I'm root, again.
>
> What are your suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Does encryption/decryption work using the command line `gpg' utility?

Does the directory ~/.gnupg/ (or, alternatively, the directory named by
the environment variable GNUPGHOME) exist and contain your non-root
user's GPG private key?

Does your non-root user have appropriate permission for the GPG key
which you're trying to use?  The ~/.gnupg/ directory for the user should
be mode 0700, or drwx------.

--
Regards,
WGG