Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 00:47:14 +0200

> Wrt filling doc strings, see also user option
> `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column'.

OK, that is simply the fill-column, for docstrings (in Elisp
code), so you can fill it to be 67 (as is recommended) while
filling everything else much wider, if you have this huge monitor
(with tiny fonts). Yes, I see the benefit in that.

As for me, with a 70-char Emacs screen, I have it like this

; t (non-integer) -> same as fill-column (which I have 66)
(set-variable 'emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column t)

But that is only related to this problem in the sense that I can
visit a function's definition, and fill the docstring. I don't
think that is smart, as the docstrings are probably line broken
with some pedagogic thought in mind, that filling will screw.

That is, on the other hand, worth it, as horizontal scrolling is
royal pain. Still, it had to be done for so many docstrings, it
would be unbearable to do!

And if I were to update Emacs, would the changes I made manually
to the -- manual, would they be persistent - for example, in the
case of find-file?

No, if I'm to change the docstrings themselves, I'll do it once
and for all with some batch script. I wonder, though, if I should
hold that thought for a couple of days, and perhaps something
better will surface. It seems a little heavy-handed.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573