Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 09:09:37 +0300

> From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:53:14 +0200
>
> Ha ha, no, let's keep "self-documenting". To me, that *sounds*
> like "you don't have to write documentation, Emacs does that for
> you, all the while you extend Emacs", but I never was fool enough
> to believe that (for Emacs, or any system), so I thought it was
> just an exaggeration of the docstring etc. functionality

It's not an exaggeration, and Emacs produces some minimal
documentation even if the programmer didn't provide any doc string.
It tells you the argument list and the file in which the function or
variable is defined, providing hyperlinks to that definition.  The
'apropos' family of functions, most of which do not depend on doc
strings, also automatically reacts to changes in the code.