Re: Alternative to Mendeley

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Alternative to Mendeley
Date: 2 Sep 2013 12:30:26 GMT

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> Hi.  I use Emacs and Auctex.  For my academic research, so far I have made
> notes in several files - one for each paper.  Several people have recommended
> Mendeley to me.  Mendeley is proprietary (even though it is gratis) and I
> prefer open source.  I only tolerate proprietary software if it is much better
> than the open alternative.  Can you recommend a good alternative to Mendeley?
> Integration with Emacs is a plus but not mandatory.  But it must be something
> I can learn (the basics) in an afternoon.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for exactly. If you just want
a program to manage your .bib-files without having to edit them by hand,
you could take a look at an Emacs package I maintain, Ebib[1]. It allows
you to add notes to your entries, which are stored in the .bib file, but
also filenames, urls and DOIs, which can be opened in an appropriate
viewer or your browser.

However, if you're looking for something that integrates with the web
and/or social networks, then Zotero is probably the best choice, since
it's open source and well-known. I don't know how well it integrates
with LaTeX (which I assume is what you're using), but there is an Emacs
package called Zotelo[2] that seems to make that easier.

HTH

Joost

[1] Installable via MELPA or <http://ebib.sf.net>.
[2] <https://github.com/vitoshka/zotelo>