Re: popup menu, menu bar and keyboard

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: popup menu, menu bar and keyboard
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 12:24:36 +0530

Jarek Czekalski <jarekczek@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

> I have the same question after 7 years. How do I quick-select a menu item,
> say "Search" in "Edit". On Windows it's easy: F10, E, S.

> However on Linux (graphical interface)

Edit->Search->String Forward                       (No keybindings displayed)
Edit->Search->Incremental Search->Forward String   (Bound to C-s)

Are these two entries do the same thing.  May be you should do a

     M-x report-emacs-bug RET

and request for further clarification on the apparently duplicate entries.

> the following part from the manual does not apply:

> /Each menu item is also designated by a letter or digit (usually the initial
> of some word in the item's name). This letter or digit is separated from the
> item name by ‘==>’. You can type the item's letter or digit to select the
> item./
>
> I think I saw that on terminal version of emacs, but not on the graphical
> one.
>
> Why doesn't this work on graphical Linux?

Try M-`

or use F10 after doing

    (global-set-key [f10] (quote tmm-menubar))

or just M-x tmm-menubar

> In Emacs tutorial it's emphasized that the Emacs is so convenient and
> ergonomic to use... :)

Don't believe in everything that you read or hear.