Re: gnus trying to read news while I want only mail

From: Felix Dietrich
Subject: Re: gnus trying to read news while I want only mail
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:29:40 +0200

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:
> I want to use gnus only for reading mail, not newsgroup, so I've
> removed the select-methods variables.

You can set gnus-select-method to your preferred mail retrieval method if
you don't want to use Gnus for news, like in the following example from
the manual:

(setq gnus-select-method
           '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com"))

If you have multiple e-mail accounts/servers you can then add them to
`gnus-secondary-select-methods'. Have a look at the info-manual:

(gnus) Getting Started Reading Mail
(gnus) FAQ 3-6

> However, when I start gnus it spins searching for news
> servers. I then set such variables to nil, but an error "attempting to
> use a nil select method" arises. So I tried to point them to localhost
> fake news server, and this made a connection error to raise and asked
> me to continue or not, so I was able to get into gnus at last.

I don't know what Gnus does when it starts and decides what servers to
use.  Having `gnus-select-method' set might be necessary for it to
start-up without hick-ups.

--
Felix Dietrich