Re: Saving "relative point" in a paragraph or line

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Saving "relative point" in a paragraph or line
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:06:55 +0200

Am 12.09.2013 11:51, schrieb Suvayu Ali:
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:49:37AM +0200, Andreas Röhler wrote:
Am 12.09.2013 10:06, schrieb Suvayu Ali:
Hi,

I'm trying to write a few wrappers for transpose functions.  I would
like to restore the point to the relative position of the element I am
trying to transpose.  Are there any standard ways/functions people use
for something like this?

An example (cursor at -!-):

- Lorem ipsum dolor -!- sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
- Vestibulum porttitor metus sed est varius, id dapibus est rhoncus.

- Vestibulum porttitor metus sed est varius, id dapibus est rhoncus.
- Lorem ipsum dolor -!- sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers,

Not sure IIUC, what about storing location with

(setq my-point (copy-marker (point)))

After the transpose my-point will be somewhere inside the other line.
Hence my use of the terminology "relative point".

:)

Hmm, you example shows point after "dolor" as in start. That's what copy-marker
would provide.
Maybe move the point indicated in example after change, i.e. end-of "porttitor"?

Cheers