Re: Strange characters produced by M-x in emacs -nw

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Strange characters produced by M-x in emacs -nw
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 22:42:57 +0200

aurelien@replicant.io (Aurélien DESBRIÈRES) writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 17.09.2013 um 18:51 schrieb Harry Putnam:
>>
>>> `M-x' produces   'ø'
>>> `M-Shift + !' produces '¡'
>>> `M-shift + :  produces 'º'
>>
>> No! It's not M-x but certainly Alt-x.
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>   Pete
>>
>> Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!
>>

> M == Alt

That's indeed the problem.

> M-x == Alt+x
> C-x == Ctrl+x
>
> C-h i == Ctrl + h then hit i

To solve it, you have to break the connection between the key Alt and
the emacs modifier M-.

For example, you could have in your ~/.emacs, amongst the rest,
something like (keycode specific to my keyboard):

! …

keycode  37 = Multi_key
keycode 133 = Alt_L
keycode  64 = Meta_L

keycode  65 = space         space       digitspace          digitspace

keycode 108 = Meta_R
keycode 134 = Mode_switch
keycode 135 = Hyper_R
keycode 105 = Control_R

! …

clear Shift
clear Lock
clear Control
clear Mod1
clear Mod2
clear Mod3
clear Mod4
clear Mod5

! In order of bits:
add    Shift   = Shift_L     Shift_R
add    Lock    = Caps_Lock
add    Control = Control_L   Control_R
add    Mod1    = Num_Lock
add    Mod2    = Alt_L       Alt_R       Mode_switch
add    Mod3    = Meta_L      Meta_R
add    Mod4    = Super_L     Super_R
add    Mod5    = Hyper_L     Hyper_R

--