Re: Strange characters produced by M-x in emacs -nw

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Strange characters produced by M-x in emacs -nw
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:27:35 -0400

> Am 17.09.2013 um 18:51 schrieb Harry Putnam:
>
>> `M-x' produces   'ø'
>> `M-Shift + !' produces '¡'
>> `M-shift + :  produces 'º'
>
> No! It's not M-x but certainly Alt-x.

Well, yeah if we disregard yrs and and yrs of practice on this list
and even in emacs and gnus manuals

That said, yes, I am referring to the Alt labeled on most common
keyboards... at least in the US.

Let me say to that I do appreciate all posters input on this.. there
appears to be several way to resolve the problem.

I'm still puzzled but the way this problem just turned up sort of
suddenly. .. I mean I don't often use emacs -nw when in X but it can't
have been more that 5-6 mnths since last time.

So something has changed in my environment on my Debian Linux box of
several yrs standing.  Possibly an update or something.  I had
thoughts of tracking it down... but probably a loosing battle since
I'm not sure of when the change occurred.

Thank you all.