Re: Strange characters produced by M-x in emacs -nw

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Strange characters produced by M-x in emacs -nw
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 16:27:34 -0400

Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> writes:

> It looks to me like you've got Alt conflated with Meta.  The two
> modifiers are NOT the same.  Check .xmodmap / .xmodmaprc to see how X
> is set up.  Also, you don't say what desktop manager you're using,
> Gnome, LXDE, whatever.  Note that DEs also do keymapping, but
> separately from the .xmodmaprc file (and each other).

LXDE,

Before seeing you post I responded to Bob P with some more info from
my setup, including ouput of xmodmap

> Just out of curiosity, if you type ESC-x instead of ALT-x, what do you
> get?  If things are set up correctly, you should get "M-x " in the
> minibuffer, waiting for an extended command.

Well, like always that does the same as what I expect the Alt key to
do, but is so awkward to use, I always do something about it when on a
Solaris variant.  A place where after a fesh install, I've always had
to use ESC to work with emacs.