Re: Declaring a local dynamic variable?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Declaring a local dynamic variable?
Date: 25 Sep 2013 08:58:37 GMT

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article
> <slrnl41f9g.31s.joostkremers@j.kremers4.news.arnhem.chello.nl>,
>  Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Barry Margolin wrote:
>> > In article
>> > <slrnl40qtk.31s.joostkremers@j.kremers4.news.arnhem.chello.nl>,
>> >
>> > On what basis would it distinguish them? Search all packages to see if
>> > any of them declare the variable?
>>
>> I realise that's a rhetorical question, but that wouldn't be a very good
>
> Maybe the second one is slightly rhetorical, but the first certainly
> wasn't. The difficulty isn't in implementation, it's in defining what
> you mean by "a compiler that can". You can't implement something without
> a specification of what it's supposed to do, and "do the right thing" is
> not really detailed enough.

That was basically what I was trying to say, though I may not have made
myself clear. In order to implement a compiler that can distinguish
between variable names that are used for dynamic bindings and variable
names with typos, you first need to figure out how the two can be
distuinguished without human intervention, and then decide how much of
that you want to implement.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)