Re: Changing the language of gnus menu entries

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Changing the language of gnus menu entries
Date: 25 Sep 2013 21:15:04 GMT

Drew Adams wrote:
> FWIW, Google translates node (emacs) `Keys' to what is below, in German.
> (And it provides a spoken reading of the result.)

Well, the translation sucks. :-) Word order is so messed up that it's
often difficult to make heads or tails of a sentence...

Such a translation would probably scare off more people than having no
translation at all.

> IOW, does such automatic translation get us something at least a little bit
> useful or not?
>
> I don't understand German, so I cannot tell, here.  I would say that the
> translation to
> French is usable, however.  It is not great, but it can be helpful, IMHO.

That's not entirely surprising, because French word order is much closer
to English (both are subject-verb-object), while German word order is
quite different and more complex (i.e., more difficult to get right
without human intervention).

> Such automatic output could perhaps also be used as a starting point, to be
> improved by
> human translation.

Actually, I'm not sure what would be more work: correcting a Google
translation or starting from scratch. I'm pretty sure, though, that the
latter is more satisfying and less frustrating.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)