Re: automatic selection during search

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: automatic selection during search
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:46:55 -0400

In article <mailman.2906.1380186548.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> writes:
>
> > But, the same behaviour is also shown in emacs -Q: When something is
> > selected and the point is inside this selection and you start isearch,
> > then the selection is automatically extended. I could imagine that an
> > isearch hook could help which first switches off the selection…
>
> Yes,
>
>   (add-hook 'isearch-mode-hook 'deactivate-mark)
>
> seems to do the trick.

That will break the common sequence C-@ C-s which *should* mark the
region from where you started to where the search completes.

The OP wants to deactivate the region if he searches after copying to
the clipboard, not every time he does a search.

If this happens automatically when using cursor movement commands, it
seems like a bug if it doesn't also happen when doing a search.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA