Re: Detect window switches?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Detect window switches?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:27:04 -0400

>> Hmm, starting to sound like a bug.  Here's an event that Emacs acts
>> on but doesn't make the event visible to ELisp.
> No, Emacs doesn't act on this as an event.  What happens is that the
> next redisplay after a window switch redraws the mode line in a
> different face.  The redisplay isn't triggered by an event (because
> there is no such event), it is triggered by other means, mostly
> because Emacs becomes idle.  That could happen many seconds after the
> switch, if Emacs becomes busy calculating something, for example.

Well the event is `redisplay', and indeed if we had
a before-redisplay-hook, we could use it to do that in Lisp (although
we'd bump into another problem: faces can't be set per-window.
Tho maybe with a redisplay-window-hook we could trick the display into
using different face settings for different windows).

        Stefan